Thursday, November 15, 2012

Final Days

During the final days there is still so much to be done but progress is being made. We spent our last days in Rockaway which was hard hit and was also one of the roughest areas (we were told) but we took our chances and everyone welcomed us with open arms. Rockaway had a terrible fire that burnt down an entire city block were delivered meals, leaving them no chance of returning to their beloved homes. That day was one of saddest since Ive been here. One guy was so upset that he broke down, he was living on stairwells trying to stay committed to his job and get assistance for this his family. Luckily ar had one last blanket to give out. Being it was last blanket this left the olderly man next without one. This man was going to give up this last blanket to the elderly man. This broke my heart so much I pulled out my blanket I brought and gave Otto a better home. My only request was that he took good care of it whig brought a huge smile on his face. Those huge smiles have become one of my favorite experiences here. Bringing that small hope that its going to be ok. Also, the stories that were told, these stories had tears involved but it let them tell their story and get it off their chest. I will miss a lot of things including: mischief we had waiting for food, my teams the boys who liked to show me the firehouses and the ladies where there was never a dull moment (I'm glad to be alive with their constant running into everything) I'm not going to miss "yard dog" barking order, my cot, and showering highschool style. Then again I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. One guy said.. you and I are a part of history now. I'm just glad I was a part of helping people and making their lives a little easier. I have the best experience and I wouldn't change it for anything. Thanks for allow the support.. Now I'm on my way back, I miss my friends and cannot wait to share my experiences. Love Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment